Economic Relief and Recovery
Shortly after the COVID-19 pandemic impacted our community, Mayor Miro Weinberger promised in his April 2020 State of the City address that, while doing everything possible to fight COVID-19, the City team also would continue to focus on core Burlington values, including its commitment to lead the way in responding to the global climate emergency. As a major step in that direction, the Mayor announced that a new Green Stimulus program would be launched using existing funds to support a range of expanded and new initiatives to help boost both the City’s economic recovery from the pandemic and its transition to becoming a Net Zero Energy city. In response to the Mayor’s promise, BED worked quickly last year to implement the Green Stimulus, which launched on June 1, 2020 and offers incentives for technologies including heat pumps, heat pump water heaters, electric vehicles (EVs), and more.
The success in 2020 of the Green Stimulus led the Mayor and BED to announce that the Green Stimulus program initiatives have been extended into 2021 and will remain available through year’s end or until funding is exhausted. The Green Stimulus will continue to offer the following: enhanced heat pump, EV, and energy efficient appliance and weatherization incentives; a partnership with Old Spokes Home and Opportunities Credit Union to make electric bikes (E-bikes) available at cost and with zero percent interest loans to low-income customers; home energy loans through BED’s partnership with local credit unions to provide residential customers who install heat pumps, heat pump water heaters, and/or new Energy Star home appliances with interest rates as low as zero percent based on household income; and a commercial loan program with zero percent loans for small businesses and nonprofits that need help replacing equipment with energy efficient options, as well as funds for ventilation improvements. We invite you to scroll down to learn more about the Green Stimulus opportunities.
Immediate Help for BED Customers
- Disconnections for nonpayment: suspended until further notice
- Late fees: suspended until further notice
- Budget billing plans for commercial customers: new option for commercial customers in good standing to use budget payment plans (already available for residential customers) to have level payments for 12 months.
For All Customers
Electric Vehicle (EV) incentives: BED has boosted EV incentives from $1,200 to $1,800 and plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) incentives from $1,200 to $1,500 for purchase or lease of new EVs and PHEVs.
For Residential Customers
- Appliance Rebates: Visit our Rebates page to view the many appliances for which we are offering limited-time rebates.
- Home Energy Loan: BED has partnered with local credit unions, including VSECU and Opportunities Credit Union, on a new Home Energy Loan program that provide BED residential customers who install heat pumps, heat pump water heaters, and/or new Energy Star home appliances with interest rates as low as zero percent based on household income.
- Electric bike (E-bike) incentives: BED continues to offer its $200 point-of-sale E-bike incentives, and BED customers benefit from a partnership between Burlington’s Old Spokes Home, a retail bike shop and non-profit that creates access to bikes and the opportunities they provide for the whole community, and Opportunities Credit Union that helps make E-bikes available to low-income customers who plan to use the E-bikes for commuting to work. Old Spokes Home is selling the E-bikes at cost and further reducing the price by BED’s $200 incentive, and Opportunities Credit Union is offering zero-percent interest, low-barrier loans.
- Cold-climate heat pump incentives: BED has increased ductless cold-climate heat pump incentives from a maximum total of $2,250 to $3,350 to support local projects and also has increased the low- and moderate-income incentive from $200 to $400.
- Centrally-ducted heat pump incentives: BED has increased the centrally ducted heat pump incentives from a maximum total of up to $8,750 to support local projects.
- Air to water heat pump incentives: BED has increased the air to water heat pump incentives from a maximum total of $5,000 to $12,500 to support local projects.
- Heat pump water heater incentives: BED has doubled the heat pump water heater incentive for electric, oil and LP gas replacements and also has increased the LMI incentive from $200 to $400.
- Electric Energy Efficiency Projects for Affordable Housing: BED covers up to 100 percent of eligible electric energy efficiency upgrades for affordable housing providers, including Burlington Housing Authority, Champlain Housing Trust, Cathedral Square, and Green Mountain Habitat for Humanity.
For Commercial Customers
- Visit our Commercial Customers Green Stimulus page.