Net Zero Energy
Burlington's Net Zero Energy goal is to reduce and eventually eliminate fossil fuel usage in heating and ground transportation.
We will achieve this by reducing our total energy usage across electric, thermal and ground transportation while sourcing our entire energy supply for these sectors from renewables.
Transitioning away from carbon emitting fossil fuels has many environmental, social and economic benefits. For example, as we move away from fossil fuels and efficiently electrify our buildings and vehicles, we’ll reduce our city’s greenhouse emissions that lead to climate change, improve our air quality and public health, reduce congestion, and have safer and more comfortable homes and work spaces. Furthermore, by producing or securing more and more electricity closer to home, NZE will keep more dollars local, essentially growing the local economy and generating more local jobs.
Net Zero Energy News
Announcement: Net Zero Energy Roadmap and Many New Initiatives to Propel Next Phase of Burlington Climate ProgressRoadmap details a path to reach one of the most ambitious local climate goals in the country; Mayor urges all Burlingtonians to join the effort
Read More »
- Encourages Community to Reduce Energy Usage on Hottest Summer Days to Gain “…
- Program Addition Will Help Meet Renewable Energy Goals
- Efficiency Vermont, Burlington Electric, and North Avenue Co-op partner to…
- Program Will Serve as Important Component of Net Zero Energy Strategy, Help…
- Pilot program seeks 10 volunteers.
- Praises Lineworkers’ Hard Work, Dedication, Courage, and Talent