Economic Relief and Recovery: Burlington Electric Department worked to quickly implement financial relief efforts shortly after the COVID-19 pandemic impacted our community. We will continue to support these and new relief efforts, as well as redirecting a portion of BED’s energy efficiency funds to support local economic recovery once our public health environment allows for the safe resumption of activity for residents and businesses.
Immediate Help for BED Customers
- Disconnections for nonpayment: suspended until further notice
- Late fees: suspended until further notice
- Budget billing plans for commercial customers: new option for commercial customers in good standing to use budget payment plans (already available for residential customers) to have level payments for 12 months.
Net Zero Energy Programs Available for a Limited Time. BED has gained regulatory approval to offer the programs below for the remainder of 2020 or until funding is fully utilized, on a first-come, first-served basis. Please check this page in the coming weeks as BED is continuing to develop other offerings.
For All Customers
- Electric Vehicle (EV) incentives: BED will boost EV incentives from $1,200 to $1,800 and plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) incentives from $1,200 to $1,500 for purchase or lease of new EVs and PHEVs.
For Residential Customers
- Appliance Rebates: Visit our Rebates page to view the many appliances we are now offering limited-time rebates on.
- Home Energy Loan: BED will partner with local credit unions, including VSECU and Opportunities Credit Union, on a new Home Energy Loan program that will provide BED residential customers who install heat pumps, heat pump water heaters, and/or new Energy Star home appliances with interest rates as low as zero percent based on household income.
- Electric bike (E-bike) incentives: BED will continue to offer its $200 point-of-sale E-bike incentives, and BED customers will benefit from a partnership between Burlington’s Old Spokes Home, a retail bike shop and non-profit that creates access to bikes and the opportunities they provide for the whole community, and Opportunities Credit Union that helps make E-bikes available to low-income customers who plan to use the E-bikes for commuting to work. Old Spokes Home is selling the E-bikes at cost and further reducing the price by BED’s $200 incentive, and Opportunities Credit Union is offering zero-percent interest, low-barrier loans.
- Cold-climate heat pump incentives: BED has increased ductless cold-climate heat pump incentives from a maximum total today of $2,200 to $3,500 to support local projects and has also increased the LMI incentive from $200 to $400.
- Heat pump water heater incentives: BED has doubled the heat pump water heater incentive for electric, oil and LP gas replacements and has also increased the LMI incentive from $200 to $400.
- Electric Energy Efficiency Projects for Affordable Housing: BED will cover up to 100 percent of eligible electric energy efficiency upgrades for affordable housing providers, including Burlington Housing Authority, Champlain Housing Trust, Cathedral Square, and Green Mountain Habitat for Humanity.
For Commercial Customers
- Visit our Commercial Customers Green Stimulus page.
Temporary or Limited-Time Net Zero Energy Programs Coming Soon
- Weatherization for renters and homeowners through Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP): BED will work with Champlain Valley Weatherization Services and VGS to boost funding/incentives for income eligible weatherization projects for renters and homeowners.
- Weatherization for rental property owners (not income eligible for WAP) through energyChamp Rental Properties program: BED and VGS are exploring reinvigorating the energyChamp rental apartment program, which previously provided up to 75 percent weatherization and electric efficiency improvement incentives for multi-family housing where renters pay heating costs directly. Bonus incentives may be available to property owners who complete weatherization of more than one rental property during the remainder of 2020.
- Weatherization for homeowners (not income eligible for WAP) through energyChamp Homes program: BED and VGS are exploring increasing residential weatherization incentives from 33 to 60 percent and adding a bonus incentive for low- to moderate-income (LMI) customers.